Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Erika's 7 things

So here are my 7 things you may or may not know about me...

1. I'm terrified of my job. I always have work dreams where people are dying and I'm screwing up, and it scares me. Every time I work I anticipate the worst happening and that I won't know what to do. The worst has happened, and I've had wonderful people there to help me and back me up, and I haven't screwed up too badly yet, but I'm just waiting for it and I don't sleep well the night before I work. Especially after this nice 2 month vacation I've had, I'm worried I've forgotten some vital information and my patients will be toast.

2. I have issues with things touching me- I don’t have my ears pierced, I hate wearing bracelets and watches, and I can’t sleep with my hair on my neck. I always pick the mascara off my eyelashes by the end of the day and my fingernails feel claustrophobic if they’re painted. Luckily, I don’t have this same issue with my husband.

3. I've recently discovered how deep my fear of heights is. I've always been a little wary, but it’s gotten kind of out of control. We were hiking Angel’s Landing in Zions and I had something short of a panic attack when I saw that there was only a chain to hold onto so you don’t fall to your death as you hike up ridge with a cliff on both sides. I couldn’t do it and now I think I’m worse with normal heights than I was before. I blame Will because he always has to stand right on the edge.

4. I have an irrational fear (kind of related to the heights thing) that I’m going to lose control of my body and jump off the edge of a cliff or throw Will or Milo over. Or- like Will’s fear- that I’m going to drive into traffic or a bunch of pedestrians for no reason and kill everyone.

5. When I was younger I would always get really nervous over normal things for no reason (I’d start breathing hard, shaking, sweating, the works). I’d get nervous driving to a basketball game, or going to someone’s house (even a best friend), getting my hair cut, anything out of the ordinary. I don’t think I grew out of it until college.

6. My cheeks are almost always rosy, and go bright red when I work out. I would blush constantly in school whenever someone would even look at me; my nickname in school was Red. And at work I’m always flushed after a delivery and everyone asks me if I’m okay. Sad.

7. I don’t like talking on the phone or making conversation with people I don’t know. In the grocery store, when people are being friendly and want to chat, sometimes I just ignore them. I'm not a mean person- I think it’s because I have to make friends with strangers all day at my job and on my off time I just don’t want to make the effort.

There they are. Now I have to tag seven people:

Christi
Bob
Cassie
Stephanie Pond
Annie
Kate Anderson
Janelle

7 comments:

Will Radford said...

Honey, I think you need counseling.

Malma said...

Though some of your "items" seem odd, I can relate. The red cheeks and irrational fear of going off a cliff. Sad but true. I'm glad you're brave enough to admit it! I miss you at work dearly!!!

Anonymous said...

What?! You can't tag me! I could go into labor at any minute, so I'm going to claim immunity. I'll see if I can get my husband to participate though,.. =)

The Pond's Lily Pad said...

I have scary dreams about work, too, AND I hate making conversation with people over the phone. All I do is fantastize about getting off the phone with them, whoever it is...even with my family sometimes!! By the way, did you ever receive your group gift card from Target? I have been worrying about that getting to you. Luv yer guts!!

Kait said...

Erika I am also deathly afraid of heights, I don't know what it is but I hate them always have and mostlikely always will. I hope you and Milo are doing good. He is so dang cute!

Heather said...

It is difficult to devolge such personal info. However, you would be suprised at how many other people share the same quirks, ie. fear of your job (especially coming back from maternity leave), red cheeks, and the irrational fear of throwing someone off a cliff or into traffic. Thanks for sharing.

Cass said...

IPOD, that is the key to ignoring people in public. Plop them in and viola no one will even attempt to talk to you. Also rosy cheeks are great, you never need blush.