It started with a batch of homemade cinnamon rolls. From scratch. Using yeast. And they turned out alright, actually. That caused me to set my sights on those other homemaker things that seemed so out of reach (combined with my frustration of only liking skirts that cost more than any skirt should cost and knowing I could probably do it myself), leading to the purchase of this:
Just your standard beginner sewing machine, complete with a self threader and an automatic button hole maker! Woot woot! A little glance through the instruction manual and I was ready to rock. Which leads us to my first project, the making of this: It's a little fluffy, a little too big, but a few adjustments and I'll be rocking my tiered, little girl's dream, spring-here-I-come skirt. It was actually really fun to make and only took me about 3 hours. I used Amy Butler's Daisy chain fabric and a basic A-line skirt pattern, which I quickly abandoned and started tweaking to my own desires. (It's okay to make up your own patterns on your first sewing project, isn't it?) I shortened the top skirt, added a liner and the second tier, and tweaked the waist from the original so it wasn't thick and belted. The pattern used an elastic waist, but next time I think I'll do a zipper or button so I can make it more fitted. Watch out everyone- I'm about to go Project Runway all over everything.
Will asked me when I'm going to start canning peaches and grinding my own wheat. We'll see.
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
And then she became domestic...
Posted by Erika at 10:02 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
18 comments:
I cannot believe you completed it so quickly! Love it.
that is such a cute skirt, I love it! I can't believe it's your first sewing project...seriously I am still sewing handicap...sad really. Awesome job though, you should sell some, I would buy :)
So cute! And yes you can totally make it up as you go; it usually turns out better when you do. And if you mess up, well that is why they created unpickers. Sorry to break it to you though, but I have always thought of you as the homemaker/crafty/domestic type.
Wow! That is really cute! Good job! Mine and Cassie's never looked that good in high school when we tried to sew our own skirts! Go you!
--Candi
Good for you lady! Me next right? You make me laugh. Let me know when you are up for the Treehouse or something else fun. Having some girls over on Friday at 1 if you want to come.
Impressive! You and Sarah will need to teach me how to sew...I have a machine but have never touched it. Sad, but true.
Wow who knew such a domestic diva was living inside of you begging to come out! It is freaking adorable and I hope you wear it to work one day so you can model it for us.
wow- you rock! what a darling skirt. There is a very cute fabric store called Whimsey Cottage that has some great fabric for skirts and such.
love it Erika, way to go making up your own pattern on your first freaking project!! Nice!! Turned out way cute. Are you going to start sewing Will clothes too??
and awesome bang up job on the b-day party. Do you hire out?? I'm getting kind of worn out of them...
Hilarious! I'm happy for you! That's fun!
your skirt totally rocks, I am jealous... I absolutely HATE sewing. Sucky on my part, look what I am missing out on!
Love it! If you go into business I will be a customer for sure!
You are freakin kidding me!!! I was forced to sew for 4-h growing up and couldn't do a skirt that cute. I was thinking Prodject Runway while I was reading your post, that is so funny you wrote about it. I am so proud and Grandma Fern would be proud.
Love It! You are always so dang cute with your style!
Holy cow! That is some natural talent you have! You are very inspirational and i am totally impressed.
You are amazing, period.
Wow Erika this is a far cry the skirts we sported in high school. We hadn't even heard of Martha Stewart when we were sewing buttons on sheets (let alone gremlin sheets) and poked a hole in the other side to get it to stay around our waist. kinda scary.
Post a Comment